The big story
This month (May, 2017) Britain’s National Health Service (NHS), Telefónica, Spain’s biggest telecoms operator, and FedEx have suffered an internal “ransomware” malware attack.
Leaked NSA exploit blamed for global ransomware cyberattack – rt.com
- A cyberattack is spreading across the globe, and a software exploit developed by the American National Security Agency (NSA) seems to be to blame.
- The ransomware, software that encrypts the victim’s data and demands a ransom to unlock it, has spread to at least 99 countries, from England to Japan, as of Friday.
- Among the organisations affected are Britain’s National Health Service, the Spanish telecommunications firm Telefónica, and the logistics firm FedEx.
- The cyberattack has caused chaos across the United Kingdom.
- Hospitals have been closed and operations cancelled on short notice, and medical staffers have resorted to pen and paper to do work.
- Telefónica, Spain’s biggest telecoms operator, suffers internal malware attack (El País)
- Interpol article on Ransomware
- Frequently asked questions about Ransomware (trendmicro.com)
Brands and companies mentioned
Keywords: Cyber Security, Ransomware, NSA exploit, Britain’s National Health Service, Telefónica, FedEx, WannaCry